Replacing counters in our RV

Replacing counters in our RV

Now that we have taken care of the floors, painted the cabinets, hardware, and attempted to improve the fridge it was time to turn our attention to the counters and table.  After years of neglect the original counters were in poor shape!  The particleboard was warped, the plastic/rubber molding would not stay in place and the tops were stained. Sadly, the table wasn't much better!

How NOT to paint a RV fridge

How NOT to paint a RV fridge

Next on our list was tackling the ugly RV fridge.  Though pop-up camper fridges aren't the greatest, this one still worked well and served a purpose.  Sadly, there was no need to replace it.  So we decided to just go ahead and paint it along with everything else.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get the darn thing out of the cabinet no matter what I tried - I was wasting the little amount of time we had.  I gave up and decided to paint the fridge while it was still in it's cabinet home.

Replacing a seat back in a pop-up camper

Replacing a seat back in a pop-up camper

I think one of the biggest down sides to buying a pre-owned RV is dealing with the previous owners choices.  The previous owners of our camper made some...um, unusual choices.  One of those choices was to remove the seat back from one side of the dinette.  Consequently, every time we leaned back against the dinette cushion we would fall back or the cushions would get jumbled.  So, it was time to replace the seat back they had removed. We came up with our measurements based on the height of the back cushion and length for weight distribution.  Using a quality piece of 3/4" thick MDF we cut the board to length and rounded the corners with a hand sander.  The board was smooth but we did do some touch up sanding to give it a nice even feel.

Face lift for the furnace cover

Face lift for the furnace cover

Now that we know how well the hardware looks after some spray painting, we decided to cross our fingers and give the furnace cover a face lift too.  Originally the furnace was a light tan color to match the blah cabinets.   We thought it would look so much better matching the "new" hardware!  Using the exact same technique as we did with the handles and hinges we applied just a few coats to the furnace cover and it was an instant transformation.