Now that we have taken care of the floors, painted the cabinets, hardware, and attempted to improve the fridge it was time to turn our attention to the counters and table. After years of neglect the original counters were in poor shape! The particleboard was warped, the plastic/rubber molding would not stay in place and the tops were stained. Sadly, the table wasn't much better!
Next on our list was tackling the ugly RV fridge. Though pop-up camper fridges aren't the greatest, this one still worked well and served a purpose. Sadly, there was no need to replace it. So we decided to just go ahead and paint it along with everything else. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the darn thing out of the cabinet no matter what I tried - I was wasting the little amount of time we had. I gave up and decided to paint the fridge while it was still in it's cabinet home.
I think one of the biggest down sides to buying a pre-owned RV is dealing with the previous owners choices. The previous owners of our camper made some...um, unusual choices. One of those choices was to remove the seat back from one side of the dinette. Consequently, every time we leaned back against the dinette cushion we would fall back or the cushions would get jumbled. So, it was time to replace the seat back they had removed. We came up with our measurements based on the height of the back cushion and length for weight distribution. Using a quality piece of 3/4" thick MDF we cut the board to length and rounded the corners with a hand sander. The board was smooth but we did do some touch up sanding to give it a nice even feel.
Now that we know how well the hardware looks after some spray painting, we decided to cross our fingers and give the furnace cover a face lift too. Originally the furnace was a light tan color to match the blah cabinets. We thought it would look so much better matching the "new" hardware! Using the exact same technique as we did with the handles and hinges we applied just a few coats to the furnace cover and it was an instant transformation.
Now that the cabinets are looking better, it's time to spruce up the cabinet hardware. We removed all the existing gold hardware at the same time we removed the cabinets. To save time and money we decided to give the gold a face lift with spray paint as well. Wow what an improvement that was! The hardware looks brand new and it only cost a few dollars. YES! We even painted the hinges.
Now that the canvas is sparkling white we are moving onto the cabinets in our new to us 1999 Palomino Stallion pop-up camper. The late-90's fake honey oak was just not what we had in mind. The cabinets themselves, just like everything else, had not been well maintained and really needed some repair and a face lift.
When browsing Pinterest for pop-up camper remodel inspiration it's easy to see a theme of color. Retro patterns, bright and cheery, altogether colorful. Bold people pulling their pop-up's out of the dark decades of the past and making it their own. And I say YES! cover your cushions in red and white polka dots and don't let anyone tell you it's out of the box! I love it! Unfortunately, I live in a world of messy little boys and one picky husband.
Today on the blog we're talking about canvas! Not necessarily everyone's conversation of the moment, but for a pop-up owner the condition of your canvas can mean the difference between a comfy night and a soggy night. One of the first things we noticed when purchasing our used pop-up was the incredible amount of mildew all over the canvas. It was gross.
Today we are on the road heading off to Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills which is without a doubt one of our favorite areas. We will be snapping pictures, taking in a few history lessons, and experiencing the majesty of the American Bison. We can't wait to share it all with you over on Instagram - so find us over there for some Black Hills inspiration.