Do you ever take your slow cooker camping? We do! Because what's better than a warm meal after a long day of activity? Not much. One of our favorite slow cooker recipes is this White Chicken Chili. It's simple, filling, and a nice change from regular red chili that is always a camping staple. So go on and reserve a tent site with electric and don't forget your extension cord.
Slow cookers are perfect for those days when you plan on spending all or half the day at the campground. Typically, we'll go do our parent voted activity in the morning with a picnic or lunch out. When we return to the campground around 1:00, I set the slow cooker on the picnic table and dump everything in - it takes less than 5 minutes. Off we go for our afternoon of kid fun around the campground - mini golf, playground, swimming, you name it. Before you know it dinner is ready about 5:30!
4 Ingredient Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- McCormick White Chicken Chili seasoning packet
- 1 lb. chicken (I like to freeze mine before we leave)
- Can of Great Northern Beans (undrained)
- Water (fill the empty bean can about 1/3-1/2 full of water depending on how thick you like your chili)
Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place raw or frozen chicken in the bottom and sprinkle seasoning packet over the top.
Then pour entire can of beans on top of the chicken. Fill 1/3 to 1/2 the can with water and pour water on the sides of the chicken - this prevents the seasoning from burning to the slow cooker before the chicken has time to release its own juices.
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Cover slow cooker and go have fun!
After the main cooking time you can see there is a lot more broth. Now grab two forks and shred your chicken - the longer the cooking time the easier it will shred apart. Now cover and cook for about 20 more minutes. This is the perfect time to start your campfire! Serve and enjoy!
- Please understand that with all electrical appliances slow cookers have a risk of fire hazard. Trust your own judgment when leaving a slow cooker on and unattended.**
- All slow cookers are different - sizes and brands can make a huge difference in cooking temps and times. Get to know yours before you bring it camping.
- Make this recipe (and any other) at home first so you can time it correctly.
- This McCormick seasoning packet has traditional cooking instructions on the back, if you don't want to bother with a slow cooker I'm sure it will taste great in a dutch oven or on the stove and it only takes about 20 minutes. For this, I would cube the chicken at home to save time at the campsite.
- It's a tiny bit spicy, so you can cool it down with sour cream and/or Monterrey jack cheese for the little ones.
You can download the printable recipe HERE.
Thanks for stopping by Campfire Travelers! If you have any questions about the recipe please feel free to comment below and don't forget to come back and let us know what you think!